I was excited to be a part of the Vital Aging Event at Liberty Station in San Diego on Friday, June 3 with my gluten-free/vegan bakery, Gemini Desserts. Little did I know how inspired I would be hearing and meeting Dan Buettner, 3 time world record holder for endurance bicycling, explorer, National Geographic writer, author of The Blue Zones and Thrive, and co-producer of an Emmy Award winning documentary film.
Buettner graciously shared his Power 9 - specific lifestyle habits shared by the world’s longest living people found in five different countries. He spoke to a packed house of seniors at Liberty Station's McMillin Center while being telecast simultaneously to Carlsbad seniors. Buettner shared 50% of illnesses are preventable with smoking cessation, moving more, and eating healthily.
Here are Buettner's Power 9 Habits that may extend and add more to your life.
1. Move naturally - any natural movement, includes walking, low intensity activities
2. Right Outlook - connect your sense of purpose
3. Down shift - reduce stress in your life
4. 80% Rule - stop eating when you are 80% full
5. Plant Slant - eat primarily plant-based diet with small amounts of meat if you choose
6. Wine @ 5 - 1 to 2 glasses daily with friends and/or food
7. Belong - belong to a faith-based community
8. Loved Ones First - be engaged in positive relationships
9. Right Tribe - surround yourself with the right friends